It used to be an easy affair to build a computer. It still is. It’s even easier now. but for a dinosaur like me, it is taking quite a bit of time.
INPUT & Materials: 1 Software Developer with years of experience; 1 IT support guy with years of experience. 1x boxed CPU; 1x case; 1x PSU; 1x SSD; 2x RAM; 1x TV with HDMI; 1x
OUTPUT required: A working desktop computer.
Not complicated right? So, we opened up the boxes and the case and everything else, marvelling at the screws that come with the case, the layout of it, the colour of the RAM, the big fans and all the little fiddly things that comes with the equipment. Awesome. Time to get to work. It should take long for us.
We’ve done it before (10yrs ago?).
– take out psu and fix to case………..done!
– take out CPU and fit to motherboard…ehhhh..hmmm..which way does it go?…how to u take out that lock? …..after a while, we found out how and slotted the CPU into it’s space. Now for the heatsink…. how the heck do u attach it?… we used to just force/push it in and clip/screw it in place. now, it’s got this fancy connection..we are impressed! and we are feeling old…
– next up…the ram and this was a piece of cake.
– now, to fit the SSD in the case and motherboard. arrgh….we were so slow in this part; and all the different screws and what not. we used to only have cheap plastic plug like things!
– now, to connect all the power and cables?!..ehh…what is this connector for?…crap…anyways, in short, we took a while to connect everything
– done…let’s test it
– connect hdmi to desktop to tv; turn on power…NOTHING……crap! does HDMI not work right off and we need to use VGA?…arrgh…gotta postpone.
Anyways, if you’re still reading, i finally got my new toy working; and the moral of the story…it takes 2-3hrs for 2 experienced ppl to build the desktop. baka!